Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Making Marks

As an artist I enjoy making marks.  There are many tools one can use to form a line, make a shape or create a symbol.   Sometimes those marks can become a thing of beauty...others may be a dot, squiggle, doodle or simply a scratch on a blank piece of paper.

So it is with people.  Some leave small impressions while others large.





My husband and I lost someone special last week.   Martin was one of those rare individuals  
who never knew a stranger.   Everyone was his friend.

He was a disabled Vietnam veteran who loved God, family and his country.  Physically Martin struggled with a bad heart and other serious health issues.   Spiritually he was strong in his faith and values.

As an usher at our church Martin greeted everyone with a big smile, a twinkle in his blue eyes and for some of us... a hug!

In the brief years we knew him Martin battled death many times.   He never dwelled on his infirmities...he lived each day in a state of gratitude.  The smallest things became wonderful when he spoke of them.  He truly had learned how to be content in whatever circumstance came his way.

            
Each of us will make our marks on the pages of time.   Martin made his and I will make mine and you will make yours...may they become a thing of great beauty.   God Bless! 

16 comments:

  1. Condolences Debbie on the loss of your special friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss, Debbie. Martin sounds like he was an inspiration to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words gave me goosebumps, Debbie. I too am sorry for the loss of your friend. He sounds a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathies and prayers for Martin, and his love ones

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for your loss. This was a thought provoking post-so odd too, since I have been thinking of this very thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful words Debbie. I'm so sorry for your loss and will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful tribute to your friend Martin. Beautifully expressed. I hope your day is as special as you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words are really so touching. Martin sounds like he was a wonderful man and his life touched others in a special way. I am sorry about your loss of a special friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful and sensitive tribute to this special person , sounds like he had found the key on how to live happily...being content with the small things, with what he had...knowing that there is an end to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for your loss...Martin will still be making a mark in the hearts of those who loved him for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful post remembering a friend. It sounds as if he was and inspiration to all who knew him. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. My condolences Debbie and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend, it sounds like he was an uplifting person to know and we can all use more people like that in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending my sympathies to you and your husband. It's always painful to say goodbye, but what a blessing to have had such a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Debbie I can hear how much you cared and miss him. These difficult times perhaps make us think of all people we have lost but maybe they also help us keep all these loved ones alive in our hearts and minds. In so doing we honour them just by the act of remembering. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sorry to hear of Martin’s death, although I never knew him. It seems like those who have a gift to always be surrounded by friends, because of their tremendous spirit, leave us too soon. That is a powerful analogy, we will all make our own unique mark. God bless you as well.

    from Amber at Professional Doctorate

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one.

Sow

 It is the time of the year when I begin to sow seeds for the coming season.  Discovered a different method on You Tube...they call it "...