Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Sow


 It is the time of the year when I begin to sow seeds for the coming season.  Discovered a different method on You Tube...they call it "winter sowing"



 


All you need are a few plastic jugs and some seed starter mix...scissors and a roll of duct tape or painter's tape (I used the latter).


You cut the jugs in half except for leaving the part where the handle is located intact.  That way you have created a hinge.   Cut a few holes in the bottom for drainage.  Place your soil mix to a depth of about 4" high and plant your seeds in the mix and water gently.  Then tape around the cut sides with your duct or painter's tape.  Put the lid back on the top and place the jugs in a sunny spot in your garden.  The video suggested that perennials should be started in January through March so they have time to germinate and harden to the cold and warmth.  Annuals and herbs you may want to start later closer to spring.  Tomatoes and peppers were not recommended for winter sowing because they need warmer temperatures to grow.  I have chosen to experiment with hollyhock, lupine, and foxglove as well as chives and basil.


  Will let you all know if this works out.  It is always fun to try something new.  Like the idea of starting seeds early but not having to find a place indoors for the containers. 






 

Well, wishing everyone a happy start to spring.  It officially arrives the 19th but today feels as if it may already be here. 

Hugs

Debbie

P.S.  Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!


"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."  2 Cor: 9:6 (NIV)

10 comments:

  1. I have been using gallon water bottles to make these for a few years now-I have had excellent success with this method for starting seeds--have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your bottle gardening works out. I like eating and looking but not doing. We will starve in a crisis! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope your garden seeds grow beautifully for you, Debbie. The packets are so inexpensive, and seems like a natural way to do things. It felt like Spring yesterday here; sunny, but very windy. May your seeds flourish for you this Spring. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting method of sowing! I will remember it for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything will grow well! I will email you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in TN we are still bouncing back and forth from spring to winter and back again so I have not put out any seeds yet. I ran into issues at my new home with ROCK and I can't even get bushes or trees planted......Grrr.....But I am taking a different route than normal this yr., planting my herbs from seeds and not plants already started.....cost of plants is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks almost like a terrarium. I hope you get good results! Spring may have arrived, but it seems like winter doesn't know that. For my walk this morning I needed a down jacket, a warm hat, and gloves. Brr!!! I hope you are enjoying the "warmer" days there. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many Dutch people sow it that way, yes. How nice to read it here on the blog. The photos fit so well. Always nice, your own photos. Thank you for the Bible verse, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool idea--hope it works well. I'm currently debating what I might grow during the summer months. Not sure I have the energy required to battle the humidity/bugs/squirrels!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one.

Favorite

 This certainly has to be my favorite season of the year.  I do adore autumn but spring takes the prize. As hubby commented spring is the be...