Monday, August 28, 2023

Long Ago


 I did this pen and ink drawing long ago.  The house reminds me of my grandparent's  home.  It was my favorite place to visit.   

They had a porch swing and a trellis that morning glories climbed.  There were old apple trees and lilacs growing nearby.  In the summer the windows would be open and the fragrance would permeate the rooms.  

A railroad track ran behind the property.  Early in the morning the whistle would wake me.  Sixty- six years later when I hear the sound of a train I am transported back to that sweet time.  

When I was about four or five the state came to tell my grandparents they would have to move because a major highway was going to be built and run through their land.  It was a sad time for my grandma because this had been where she grew up.

I remember my last time there, walking through the rooms slowly, climbing the steps to the upstairs where I slept when I stayed overnight (which was often) and feeling angry that this lovely house was being torn down.   

Fortunately Grandma and Grandpa found a very nice place to move and there were several acres where my brother and I could play.  We had many years and memories of that home as well.  Yet it always lacked something.  It was never like their first one.  When I need to escape in a nostalgic moment this is where I often go.  The memories warm my heart and once again this safe haven embraces me.

Thanks for letting me share this long ago home with you.  Bet some of you have a similar childhood place too.  Would love to hear  about it.  Have a lovely week.

Hugs!

Debbie  

"My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest."  Isaiah:32:18 (NIV)            

14 comments:

  1. "When I need to escape in a nostalgic moment this is where I often go. The memories warm my heart and once again this safe haven embraces me."

    I do this too, my childhood house on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My childhood home, you could sit in the window. The house had thick adobe walls in New Mexico. Also my aunt's, we could sleep on the screened in porch. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is heatwarming story dear Debbie which made my eyes teary.
    I felt every step moving along roaming in that safe cozy home resided in your memories my friend!
    Many of us have memories belong to grandparents home that was most beautiful and safe heaven for us back then
    I feel grateful and blessed that I have such treasured memories which refresh my soul time to time.
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this wonderful memories, Debbie. And I love your beautiful pen and ink drawing! My Granny's house, very different from the one of your grandparents because it was a big old three story mansion in the city, has wonderful memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad they y'all had to move.
    The house where I was a baby to 3 +years was also sold and torn down. A hotel was built there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this Debbie. The drawing is beautiful! I do the same thing in my mind-I visit my grandparent's home where I spent so many wonderful hours. They had a really tall mock orange bush that grew way up to the second floor of the house by the bedroom I would use. That smell still brings back memories of being with them. My brother and I learned about Jesus from them. We were so blessed to have both pairs of our grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wonderful memories of both my grandparents' houses. I think that is why I'm determined to stay in our home until we pass so that my grandchildren can hang onto their memories of this place a little longer. There is no threat of a highway coming through here where we live!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that you have such special memories of your grandparent's house. My father's parents were gone before he even met my mother, but we were lucky enough to live in my maternal parent's house (with my uncle too). I have great memories of going upstairs and spending time with my grandma who loved having her grandkids around. We had a small, wonderful backyard with grandma's flower garden and grandpa's grape vines. I lived there until I was ready to move out on my own and my parents eventually moved to Maine to live with my sister. Life wasn't perfect but we really were loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet memory...I still drive by my favorite childhood home in the country...I guess nothing last forever.
    Love the picture...wish it were clearer! You have talent!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice drawing, nice description of a family house, of those that you remember all your life, that enclose so much for us.
    Happy September.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  11. What nice memories you had at your grandparent's old house, Debbie. Thanks for sharing that with us. Your story really got to me, as my grandfather worked for the railroad, and the train is very special to me as well, and I love to hear the whistle blowing. You even made a drawing that reminds you of the old house, that's so special. I love the verse you shared, and I will write that one down today.

    Wishing you wonderful September days, Debbie.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your commitment to helping us learn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post, and deeply identify with your feelings. My grandparents lived on a farm in N. CA, my mom grew up there, and I visited every summer. Then my mom moved there to take care of my grandma when she developed Alzheimer's disease. Now my heart is breaking a little bit because with my mom's passing, we have to sell the property (long, complicated story) and there will be no more family visits and fun times there for our family. But I have plenty of memories, and a watercolor painting of the old barn on the place, to comfort me. As my husband pointed out, almost all the people I loved most who gathered here are now gone, and it's "just" a place now. Even if we were able to keep it, we would not be able to bring back those we love.
    Wow, that comment took a dark turn! I will always love that place, and hold it in my heart, even when it belongs to someone else.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one.

A Delightful Challenge

 Kathy at  Catching Happiness  has created a Daily Delight challenge for the month of May.  She and I have been blogging buddies for years. ...