Sunday, September 20, 2026

amen


Just finishing up "before Amen" by Max Lucado.  It is a wonderful book on the power of a simple prayer.

Max has always been a favorite pastor and writer of mine.  You can catch him on "You Tube".  He has written countless books and each one I have ever read has encouraged me.  This book is no exception.  I think I have shared in past posts a few of the books he has written.

His chapter on "Thank You" suggested instead of counting one's blessings alphabetize them.  He gave the credit of this idea to his dear wife Denalyn.   I decided to sit down with my journal and do this exercise.  Naturally x and z are challenges but was able to come up with a couple of words that were blessings...such as xi being letters I play in scrabble ( it is a letter of the Greek alphabet).  It took a few minutes to come up with a word and why I was grateful for that particular one.  I had to stop and pause...such as "a" for apples (which are always my breakfast with peanut butter).  I came away feeling more aware of all the things that make up my gratitude list.

So often we hurry through life missing what makes each day rich.  The simple act of slicing a crisp apple and slipping a little peanut butter on the side would be so missed if it was not available.  That first sip of coffee or tea...sunrises and sunsets...a night sky lit by stars and moonlight...holding the hand of your special loved one...the sound of crickets or picking up a paint brush, a needle, playing an instrument,  reading a good book on a rainy day, feeling well enough to take a short walk or just sit and listen to a favorite song.  These are just a few gifts of this life that come to mind.  

You may not get the opportunity to read this book but the idea of naming one or more things that you are grateful for under that particular letter is definitely worth the effort.

Well that is all my friends for this week.  I will sign off with "amen" to summer and hello to autumn.

Have a blessed day!

Hugs

Debbie

"The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people.  Amen."  Revelation 22:21 

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Max Lucado's books, Debbie! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. I hope you have a lovely week ahead. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea, Debbie! I will certainly take you up on that beautiful challenge. And yes, we do need to slow down and savor simple moments. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have watched Max Lucado shows before, and appreciated them. This book sounds good, Debbie. And you made a wonderful list of blessings in your life. Apples and peanut butter sounds yummy, and haven't had that in a long time. It's time. I wish you a beautiful September week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debbie. I will try the challenge, too. Lots to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea, Debbie! Apples and peanut butter, I never thought of this combination, have to try! Wishing you a wonderful beginning of autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pretty good idea. Not easy for some of the letters though

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for a way to think of things to be grateful for. We all always go for the obvious ones and forget the many, many small things in our days that we should be grateful for. Have a wonderful week, Debbie. How is your brother-in-law doing? I think of him quite often at night when I am praying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read and learned from several of Max Lucado's books. It is a good practice to list some of our blessings. Whether by counting or alphabetically. It points me thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a lovely and heartfelt sharing dear friend Debbie 🙏🥹
    yes these are just few gifts you mentioned here and our lives are filled with numerous and countless blessings!
    i see how people think i am stupid are too simple but deep in my heart there is someone who wants me to keep in mind paying gratitude in each breath i take ,because i know it's my obligation to thank Creator for His kindness upon me !
    thanks for heartwarming post !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debbie. I haven't read that book but it sounds good! Thanks for your visits and comments on my blog, Writing Straight from the Heart. Always happy to see you have stopped by. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful suggestion to alphabetize prayers - joys - grateful items. I think I might do that for our church group as an exercise. I think the most of important thing we can do - well prayer and talking to God of course but letting God know what we are grateful for. While doing that - you have to always be looking for the things to be grateful for. That changes you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear sweet Debbie & the family, All your posts are so lovely, beautiful and thoughtful, humorous, creative and full of faith. What a beautiful personality you have had! Or it's your incessant efforts. Our country Australia will start daylight saving soon. Have a lovely day. Love and smile, Kind regards, Sadami

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one.

October Day

 It was a perfect October day. A great opportunity to go outdoors with a sketchbook and some paints. Here is a glimpse of my outdoor studio....