Sunday, March 3, 2013

In the Kitchen



I spent time in the kitchen this week-end.  
Snow was still flying and it just seemed like the perfect time to bake bread.   There is something extraordinary about the smell that permeates the house when this activity is taking place.
 
Some of you may remember my hubby has a gluten allergy.  It is more of a challenge to find a good tasting "staff of life" for him.   After countless trials I have found that this french one is a favorite.  There are many delicious dishes that are easily made gluten free but bread is not one of them.    Fortunately this loaf bakes up soft inside and crispy on the out.   After it is done I cut it partially through and stuff it with mushrooms,  swiss cheese and butter.  Then it is wrapped in foil and baked for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and gooey.
   
Naturally all the calories are removed and it is guilt free eating (LOL)!
 
If anyone reading this blog has celiac disease or a wheat allergy and would like this recipe...just email me.   I am always glad to share.
 
I also pulled out my bread machine and baked a loaf of regular bread.
 
I will slice it with the electric knife and freeze in separate slices for my toast in the mornings.
 
It is a homey thing to bake bread on a cold winter afternoon and serve it with a warm bowl of soup or chili.  A simple meal but very satisfying.
 
Thanks for stopping by.    Glad you found me in the kitchen.
 

21 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the smell of fresh baked bread........I remember. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my mouth watering. This looks absolutely yummy!

    Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, look at that puppy!! I'll bet it smelled fabulous not only in your house but in the air around it too! It has been so long since I baked bread. Maybe one of these days I'll manage some energy. I was just thinking that grilled onions would also be yummy in the stuffed bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so wonderful and delicious !!!
    Your pup is so adorable and cute !!!!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hats off to you, baking your own bread, WOW. Our pastor's daughter is on a glutton free way of life, it really made a difference for her.
    Thanks for the little note about "the rest of the story" of how they met and why the pottery factory was so important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Shelby learning to cook??

    ReplyDelete
  7. great activity on a cold winter day-I love to bake bread as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't baked bread in years - but it was satisfying to make my own. Sounds like a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to bake bread too - when I have the time. I find it very relaxing and the smell is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes I can just smell the lovely aroma. Nothing like fresh baked bread. My hubby bakes a loaf every couple of days in our bread machine. Though ours doesn't rise as well as yours. You obviously have the baking skill Debbie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh..... that mushroom and swiss looks so marvelous.... just scrumptious....now I want to do something I haven't in years... and bake bread, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can smell it from here - delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh yum, that loaf looks scrummy. I'm not a keen cook, but do like baking in rotten weather, makes you feel sort of secure. Strange thing, hubby is actually making bread as I tap tap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing beats a homemade loaf of bread.....I love breadmaking. I use spelt flour, or whole wheat flours, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

    Happy to have found you homemaking in the kitchen. XO

    Ciao Bella
    Carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me again Debbie. Take a little look at my blog. I hope you like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks scrumptious! I'm the same, when the weather gets like this, I get the urge to bake too. Just took a banana cake out of the oven! And your puppy is such a cute thing! Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blog land has been full of people baking bread today....I wish we had smell a- blog buttons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bread looks soooo good and my mouth started to water when you mentioned the stuffing ingredients....and then I saw Shelby sitting looking so cute and have to ask if he gets any leftovers?
    I can come right over and sit and look cute too! Okay, maybe not AS cute as Shelby....

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bread looks so good, can smell it. Seems you are getting lots of snow, you must be wishing for spring and some warmer days.
    I read, a little late, that you have blogged for a year so congratulations and wishing you many more happy blogging years. It is so nice to visit your blog, always something lovely to share. Hope the new member of the family is settling in well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bread looks amazing...I can almost smell it! I am sensitive to gluten, and I really miss bread. My Mom and youngest daughter are sensitive, as well. I would love your recipe! We are lucky to have many gluten free choices now days, but bread is the one thing that is hard to find.
    Very nice post...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love my bread machine! did you start your french bread in your machine or is it all by hand? I am a terrible flop at making bread without the machine..which is why I got the machine!!!! anyway your bread looks delicious and would love to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one.

Precious

 Life is made of up of precious moments.  Sometimes they come in a glimpse of a striking bird...  a surprise blossom blooming underfoot... o...