Just finishing up "before Amen" by Max Lucado. It is a wonderful book on the power of a simple prayer.
Max has always been a favorite pastor and writer of mine. You can catch him on "You Tube". He has written countless books and each one I have ever read has encouraged me. This book is no exception. I think I have shared in past posts a few of the books he has written.
His chapter on "Thank You" suggested instead of counting one's blessings alphabetize them. He gave the credit of this idea to his dear wife Denalyn. I decided to sit down with my journal and do this exercise. Naturally x and z are challenges but was able to come up with a couple of words that were blessings...such as xi being letters I play in scrabble ( it is a letter of the Greek alphabet). It took a few minutes to come up with a word and why I was grateful for that particular one. I had to stop and pause...such as "a" for apples (which are always my breakfast with peanut butter). I came away feeling more aware of all the things that make up my gratitude list.
So often we hurry through life missing what makes each day rich. The simple act of slicing a crisp apple and slipping a little peanut butter on the side would be so missed if it was not available. That first sip of coffee or tea...sunrises and sunsets...a night sky lit by stars and moonlight...holding the hand of your special loved one...the sound of crickets or picking up a paint brush, a needle, playing an instrument, reading a good book on a rainy day, feeling well enough to take a short walk or just sit and listen to a favorite song. These are just a few gifts of this life that come to mind.
You may not get the opportunity to read this book but the idea of naming one or more things that you are grateful for under that particular letter is definitely worth the effort.
Well that is all my friends for this week. I will sign off with "amen" to summer and hello to autumn.
Have a blessed day!
Hugs
Debbie
"The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen." Revelation 22:21
Oh, I love Max Lucado's books, Debbie! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. I hope you have a lovely week ahead. God bless you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous idea, Debbie! I will certainly take you up on that beautiful challenge. And yes, we do need to slow down and savor simple moments. Blessings!
ReplyDelete