Sunday, October 18, 2020

"Anxious for Nothing"


This week's library visit found me selecting a book by John MacArthur "Anxious for Nothing".  The last copyright was 2012... first edition 1993.  In spite of the years when it was first written, the message is timeless and still relevant in 2020.

We all know anxiety and stress have been in existence from the beginning of time.  Just look at Jesus' words ..."Do not worry about your life" - "why do you worry about clothes" - "do not worry about tomorrow".  Those very missives were penned over two thousand years ago.





Even though much of culture has changed - man's need to feel loved and secure has not.  We all desire a good outcome for our lives.







When that outcome is challenged by hard times it is easy to turn inward and allow anxiety to dominate our thoughts.

I love what Corrie Ten Boom wrote "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength."

(This lady is one of my heroes.  She survived being incarcerated in a Nazi prison camp.  Her remarkable story can be found in "The Hiding Place".)


 If any of you are struggling with anxiety perhaps "Anxious for Nothing" and "The Hiding Place"would be helpful.  Both authors have good words that share wisdom and hope for troubled times. 







I will leave you with one of my favorite verses written by the apostle Paul.

 "Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6&7  (NIV)

Hugs

Debbie

15 comments:

  1. There is much anxiety in the world for sure, but that is when saying The Rosary helps with that. It always brings peace, and coming over here to hear your special words of comfort brings me peace also. Thank you very much, Debbie, for being a light in our lives.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the book recommendations. I think with all that is going on there is a lot of anxiety. Most of us have a hard time just placing ourselves in God's hands. He is in charge, but it is difficult to let go and let things happen. You have such a wonderful, spiritual way of looking at life! Wishing you a week filled with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, just the reminder we need for these uncertain days. Have a lovely week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Debbie. The same message I read in the old church I visit regularly to read the bibletext of the day: Don't worry. What a coincidence! Or not....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extraordinary publication, time goes by, these advice, those teachings remain in force, in these difficult times it is easy for everyone you go into depression, have a little stress, it is something that we have all had in our lives, the years then give us the experience and the wisdom to deal with it as well as possible.
    Take care.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for a timely reminder. I really like MacArthur's sermons and books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful post Debbie!! Unfortunately I’m an anxious person... that’s probably why I have Afib...lol. But I think I’ve gotten better because we’re living in a stressful time and I’m learning not getting caught up with negativity and just trying to see the good around us... looking at these beautiful photos of yours, I want to go outside, breathe deep and thank God for life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the way you have brought those verses, those writings to me. For various reasons I had closed to the writing in the Bible...I do read spiritual writings most days though...I need them to help let go of negative thinking, and yes, anxiety. Other things too, like you, I find comfort and beauty in rural places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful post Debbie. I had read a very short version of The Hiding Place but one day I would like to read the whole book. Thanks for the reminder not to be anxious. I do tend to fall into the anxiety trap sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every person should read this book, even if you are not an anxious person. It will help you grow in faith and dependence in the Lord who sustains us. I really recommend! Regards Naomi https://divineangelnumbers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. In case you missed this one Deb

    https://ashokism.blogspot.com/2020/10/architecture-art-series-03-falling.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Corrie Ten Boom quote is one of my absolute favorites. Thanks for the reminder that while anxiety has always been with us, so has inner peace.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one.

Sow

 It is the time of the year when I begin to sow seeds for the coming season.  Discovered a different method on You Tube...they call it "...