Sunday, July 29, 2012

Historical Hanoverton

The little historical town of Hanoverton is about 20 minutes away from our home.  Dick and I took the motorcycle out this afternoon and rode over that way.   
    We enjoy visiting this charming place.   There are several homes from the 1800's that have been renovated as well as the famous Spread Eagle Tavern.
The tavern has delicious cuisine and also rooms available if one would like to spend the night.     

  Artist Don Getz has three paintings hanging in the main dining room.   One is a large piece that depicts the town's canal history and how it would have looked during that era.   Down below is a bar and also a tunnel where run away slaves found protection on their way north.
Every room has a fire place and when the weather gets chilly they keep a wood fire going.   There are rumors that one of the bedrooms may be haunted.  Since I have never stayed overnight I am not certain there is any truth to this tale.  
The above picture portrays the front of the Tavern and the picture below is of the back entrance to the restaurant.

   Plymouth Street also has a lovely old Presbyterian Church that is only a block down from the Spread Eagle.

Note the two doors at the front of the church.   Years ago men and women did not sit together during services.   Therefore the women went in on one side and the men on the other.   My goodness how things have changed!



So glad you came along.   Hope you enjoyed the visit!   May God Bless You.  
   

6 comments:

  1. It was a fabulous visit! I love these charming little towns. I have to confess that I haven't seen a church like this with the two doors before, I don't think. I did know that the men and women didn't sit together many years ago but hadn't realized they each had their own entrance. Fascinating. I love history. Glad you had a great day with your husband, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! It looks like a charming town to do some sketching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical towns and this one looks quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I love following your Blogs. I get to see what life is like in another country. Hanoverton looks like a lovely town to relax in. Take care. Marion from the UK x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures

    Hanoverton reminds me of Roscoe Village in Coshocton, Ohio. The cheesecake with blueberry sauce at the Warehouse restaurant there is my favorite any place ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a charming town. Thanks for the history lesson too.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for leaving one.

Windy & Stormy

 Finally after windy and stormy weather we are enjoying a lovely Sunday of blue skies.  April has certainly delivered several inches of rain...